GCA Africa Adaptation Acceleration Day
Building on the landmark Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program, Africa Adaptation Acceleration Day will feature a series of action-forcing events aimed at sustaining momentum for adaptation action across the African continent.
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is prioritizing the mobilization of accelerating adaptation action across Africa, the world’s most vulnerable region to the impact of climate change, through its unique role as the only international organization entirely dedicated to climate change adaptation. Leading into the COP26 summit, on 26th October, the GCA will hold a series of action-forcing events in Nairobi, Kenya, towards sustaining momentum for accelerating adaptation action on the ground across the African continent. Building on the landmark African Union-Global Center on Adaptation-African Development Bank Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program (AAAP), GCA Africa Adaptation Acceleration Day will feature:
1. The Inaugural GCA CEO’s Annual Lecture
The first annual lecture of GCA CEO Prof. Dr. Patrick Verkooijen on the state of adaptation acceleration with a special focus on Africa and keynotes from high-level respondents, and inaugurated by H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya.
2. Launch of the State and Trends in Adaptation in Africa 2021 Report (Global Press Conference)
To launch our flagship report on climate change adaptation with a dedicated focus on Africa, global leaders will share statements on the Africa adaptation imperative for COP26, including:
- Ban Ki-moon, 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations, Chair of GCA
- Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank Group
- Dr. Kristalina Georgieva, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
- Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director-General of the World Trade Organization
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Keriako Tobiko, Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Kenya
3. GCA Africa Partnership Forum II “Delivering Adaptation Together”
Hosted by the Government of Kenya, the second forum of key partners involved in advancing adaptation action across the African continent will focus on collaboration and partnership opportunities in AAAP implementation as Africa’s roadmap for enhancing key resilience-building initiatives. The Forum will seek to validate African resilience-building priorities, shed light on ongoing initiatives, and confirm alignment with these. Key partners will give their reflections in a lively discussion that will ensure that momentum for real and ambitious action is sustained in the build up to COP26, with keynote addresses from:
- Dr. Lee White, Minister of Water, Forests, the Sea, and Environment, Gabon
- Eve Bazaiba, Deputy Prime Minister, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ibrahima Cheikh Diong, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General and Director-General of the African Risk Capacity Group
- Dr. Kevin Kariuki, Vice President, Power, Energy, Climate & Green Growth, African Development Bank
The format of the GCA Africa Adaptation Acceleration Day event will be hybrid, largely virtual with limited in-person participation. The event will be hosted within the campus of the University of Nairobi. The GCA CEO Annual Lecture and Global Press Conference to launch the State and Trends in Adaptation in Africa 2021 report consists of inaugural and keynote panel presentations concluding with a moderated media Q&A. The Partnership Forum will consist of a keynote presentation in Plenary, followed by a breakout session comprising four groups around the AAAP’s four focus areas to garner feedback and forge needed partnerships.