STATE AND TRENDS IN ADAPTATION POLICY DIALOGUE
Scaling Climate-Resilient Agriculture and Livestock Systems in Africa
On Adaptation Day at COP27, GCA is convening partners from across Africa and globally for a series of policy dialogues informed by the findings of its flagship State and Trends in Adaptation Report 2022
The policy dialogue on Enabling Adaptation Action for Climate-Resilient Agriculture and Livestock Systems in Africa is a one-hour in-person event held in GCA’s pavilion in the Blue Zone. The dialogue will aim to:
- Unpack the issues at the intersection between the climate crisis, the current geopolitical context, and agriculture and livestock systems in Africa.
- Identify and discuss viable solutions emerging from the report and from the experience of policy-makers and relevant stakeholders.
- Share and disseminate relevant evidence base to contribute to well-informed policy and programming choices, highlighting priorities for adaptation investment and scaling.
The dialogue is designed as an interactive discussion among leading experts and policy-makers, guided by the following framing questions:
- What are the key needs, opportunities and solutions for adaptation in the agriculture and livestock sectors?
- How can we harness the potential of Nature-based Solutions, particularly in agroforestry? What are the key challenges hindering their uptake and how can they be addressed?
- How can we enable and accelerate the transition to climate-smart agriculture, in order to realize mitigation and adaptation co-benefits?
The session will be moderated by Dr. Ede Jorge Ijjasz-Vasquez, Senior Advisor, Global Center on Adaptation and Co-Director of the State and Trends in Adaptation Report, and will feature interventions by high-level discussants and policymakers. It will conclude with a moderated question-and-answer session.
- Prof. Patrick Verkooijen, CEO, Global Center on Adaptation
- Hon. Beatrice Anywar Atim, Minister of State for Environment, Uganda
- Jyotsna Puri, Associate Vice-President -Strategy and Knowledge Department, International Fund for Agricultural Development
- Enock Chikava, Interim Director, Agricultural Development, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Beth Dunford, Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development, African Development Bank
- Jennifer Baarn, Acting Managing Director, AGRF
- Todd Crane, Principal Scientist, Livestock Systems and the Environment, International Livestock Research Institute