Webinar on Adaptation and Climate Resilience in Schools and Educational Settings
This webinar showcased how student-led climate resilient projects are integrated within the education system, adopted a holistic approach and demonstrated adaptation action at the community level
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA), the Centre for Environment Education (CEE), and Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) prepared the Publication ‘Case Studies on Adaptation and Climate Resilience in Schools and Educational Settings’. The Publication documents 15 innovative ideas and actions adopted and implemented by educational institutions in Africa and across the globe. The purpose of this publication is to provide examples on adaptation and climate resilience in schools, thereby amplifying real life climate adaptation actions designed and implemented in different countries across the world. This publication also showcases how student-led climate resilience projects integrated within the education system can adopt a holistic approach and exemplify adaptation action at the community level. During this webinar the Publication will be launched, and the crucial role that climate adaptation education plays will be emphasised.
This webinar organized jointly by GCA, CEE and FEE presented case studies on adaptation and climate resilience in schools, to amplify concrete climate adaptation actions designed and implemented in different countries across the world. The webinar also showcased how student-led climate resilient projects are integrated within the education system, adopted a holistic approach and demonstrated adaptation action at the community level.
- To jointly launch the Publication ‘Case Studies on Adaptation and Climate Resilience in Schools and Educational Settings’.
- To showcase examples of successful adaptation initiatives in schools around the world.
- To demonstrate the role climate adaptation education plays in achieving the Decade of Education Action for Sustainable Development.
The webinar is targeted specifically towards the Network of Schools and Teachers. In addition, the webinar is open to any educators in climate change and education adaptation, especially teachers, and administrative staff from educational institutions and young people, as well as other interested participants.
Information about the publication
The Publication ‘Case Studies on Adaptation and Climate Resilience in Schools and Educational Settings’, is the result of a unique partnership among three organizations, Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) which works as a solutions broker to accelerate action and support for adaptation solutions, Centre for Environment Education (CEE) which is an internationally renowned organization in the field of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) with proven capacities to evolve innovative pedagogical approaches to ESD, capacity building and materials development, and Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) which has global network of eco-schools, that have been implementing various school level environmental projects including projects on climate change. The publication highlights the need to strengthen the understanding of climate adaptation among all stakeholders, particularly children and youth, to develop their skills to adapt to the changing climate, which in turn helps enhance community resilience.
- Welcome, Introduction & Sharing of key messages: Adriana Valenzuala, Thematic Lead, Youth Leadership and Education, GCA
- Overview of the Publication & Methodology: Srishti Singh, Programme Coordinator – Climate Change, CEE
Question: What is the research question and what methodology was used to produce the publication?
- Climate change adaptation education: Kartikeya Sarabhai, Director, CEE
Question: What is Climate Change Education for Sustainable Development? What role does climate adaptation education play in this framework? What are the key messages and recommendations from the case studies publication?
- Role of schools in promoting Adaptation Education: Dr. Pramod Kumar Sharma, Senior Director of Education, FEE
Question: What is the role of schools in building climate resilience and adaptation education? And what is needed to accelerate adaptation through education?
- Showcasing Case Studies: Stories of Adaptation and Resilience in Schools
Moderator: Adriana Valenzuela, GCA
Question: How are youth building climate-resilience through education in schools?
- Reconnecting with nature through Rainwater harvesting: Jeanette Larue, Seychelles
- Building a climate resilient ‘dream playground’- demonstration of a climate friendly micro-community: Cedric Ryckaert, Belgium
- Beekeeping to foster resilience and conserve forest & biodiversity: Elisa Pallangyo, Tanzania
- Live Life Cleaner by Making Earth Greener, activities like rainwater harvesting, tree planting, composting: T. Padma Jyothi, India
- Q&A: Moderator: Srishti Singh, CEE
- Closing: Adriana Valenzuela, GCA