Water Adaptation Community Webinar: Accelerating Adaptation through Large-Scale Nature-Based Solutions
This webinar will explore how to identify a pipeline of large-scale Nature-based Solutions projects that can accelerate adaptation and build resilience
Organizations such as the Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) are working to increase the volume of finance committed to climate adaptation. Nature-based Solutions (NbS) have been identified as a key adaptation measure. However, there is a distinct lack of scalable NbS projects across the world. Greater effort must therefore be made to identify a pipeline of large-scale NbS projects that truly accelerate adaptation, and at the same time build the resilience of communities.
- What are the key building blocks of Nature-based Solutions (NbS) that are effective at scale?
- What are the various financing mechanisms?
- What could a roadmap to accelerate NbS look like?
- What are some of the best examples of NbS implemented in Asia and Africa?
Moderator: Ede Jorge Ijjasz-Vasquez, Senior Advisor to the GCA, Former Regional Director, Africa, Sustainable Development Practice Group, World Bank
- Opening remarks: Prof. Dr. Patrick Verkooijen, CEO, GCA
- Malik Amin Aslam, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister for Climate Change, Minister of Climate Change, Government of Pakistan
- Kabir Bin Anwar, Senior Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, Bangladesh.
What do large scale NbS projects look like and how do we begin to finance these ideas?
- Africa – Dr. Bregje van Wesenbeeck, Deltares
- Recharge Pakistan – Dr. Masood Arshad, WWF Pakistan
- Mekong Delta – Karel Heijnert, Royal Haskoning DHV
- How do we finance these cases? Anirudh Rajashekar, Pegasys
Panel discussion (facilitated by WWF): What could a roadmap to accelerate NbS look like?
- Vanessa Ushie, African Development Bank
- Imelda Dada Bacudo, ASEAN Climate Resilience Network
- Dr. Bregje van Wesenbeeck, Deltares
- Dr. Masood Arshad, WWF Pakistan
- Karel Heijnert, Royal Haskoning DHV
- Anirudh Rajashekar, Pegasys
Closing Remarks: Stuart Orr, Global Freshwater Practice